COVID-19 Update

The Board remains open and fully operational. We have taken steps to protect the health of parties, staff and the public, while ensuring we continue to maintain regular access to our appeal process. Please contact us if you have any questions.


The Board assists in resolving disputes between landowners and companies that require access to private land to explore for, develop, or produce Crown-owned subsurface resources such as oil, gas, coal, minerals and geothermal. We assist with disputes about:

1. Terms of entry onto land: The Board may authorize entry to private land to explore for, produce or develop subsurface resources.
2. Compensation: the amount to be paid to the landowner for a company’s entry, occupation and use of private land.
3. Damages: the compensation that should be paid for damage to the land or adjacent land, or loss caused by an entry.
4. Rent Renegotiation: new rental provisions in a surface lease.
5. Compliance:
  • whether the terms of a surface lease or right of entry have been complied with; or
  • whether the proposed oil and gas activity in a surface lease is different from what was approved by the Oil and Gas Commission

Unpaid rent from Terra Energy: Information on new Fund and Application form
Click here to: view recent announcements

How to Apply

Guidance and forms for applying for Board assistance


Assistance with the steps in mediation and arbitration

Board Decisions

Review past Board Decisions

Contact Us

How to contact the Board